Sunday, January 4, 2009

SETTING GOALS

The new year for me means it's time to think about goals in the coming months. Over the years this has been easy, make more art-sell more art. Sounds a little crass without much direction and joy. So, we'll try to be more specific.

A few years ago, I chanced to meet a person who claimed to be a promoter for artists. After giving me her success story she asked the question that concerns many people in the arts: How much money do I want to make a year? The question smacked me upside the head. Make money in the arts? This experience has been floating around out there for years. When I set goals for the new year, making money is one component that must be considered. It would be nice to have clients waiting for my next creation and who knows maybe they are waiting. It is an encouraging thought.

So making a little income is one of my goals along with the real reason I paint. This holiday season was made a little more meaningful. I had a chance to connect with happy owners of some of my work. "I have that orange one on the wall where the morning sun shines on it and lights up the room." How can you put a price on that joyous comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment